November 2013 Newsletter with brand new General Assembly information
Continuing Education Offerings
UUAMP is committed to providing opportunities for our members to grow and develop professionally. Topics of our webinars, book discussions, and in-person gatherings are chosen to help fulfill our mission of equipping professional staff to sustain and nurture the ministry of membership in UU congregations. We encourage all membership professionals in UUAMP to participate in these opportunities to develop professional skills, relationships, and a deeper understanding of their work.
Book Discussion Group
December 18 from 12:30-1:30: Community the Structure of Belonging by Peter Block - Author Joining Us!
Modern society is plagued by fragmentation. The various sectors of our communities--businesses, schools, social service organizations, churches, government--do not work together. They exist in their own worlds. As do so many individual citizens, who long for connection but end up marginalized, their gifts overlooked, their potential contributions lost. This disconnection and detachment makes it hard if not impossible to envision a common future and work towards it together. We know what healthy communities look like--there are many success stories out there, and they've been described in detail. What Block provides in this inspiring new book is an exploration of the exact way community can emerge from fragmentation: How is community built? How does the transformation occur? What fundamental shifts are involved? He explores a way of thinking about our places that creates an opening for authentic communities to exist and details what each of us can do to make that happen.
February 19 from 12:30-1:30: Simply Strategic Volunteers: Empowering People for Ministry by Tony Morgan
Power up your ministry with empowered people! These in-the-trenches authors show you how to help volunteers use their strengths to benefit the church—and their spiritual growth. Following in the footsteps of Simply Strategic Stuff, this comprehensive resource offers 99 straightforward solutions to help you recruit, train, motivate, and keep volunteers in ministry.
Lead people from being consumers in the church to being contributors—and help them find greater personal fulfillment in the process. The authors give you field-tested ideas on how to:
· Create a serving environment,
· Structure unique serving roles,
· Help people learn how God has wired them for ministry and more.
April 16 from 12:30-1:30: Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, and Ron McMillin
Learn how to keep your cool and get the results you want when emotions flare.
When stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions run strong, you have three choices: Avoid a crucial conversation and suffer the consequences; handle the conversation badly and suffer the consequences; or read Crucial Conversations and discover how to communicate best when it matters most. Crucial Conversations gives you the tools you need to step up to life's most difficult and important conversations, say what's on your mind, and achieve the positive resolutions you want. You'll learn how to:
· Prepare for high-impact situations with a six-minute mastery technique
· Make it safe to talk about almost anything
· Be persuasive, not abrasive
· Keep listening when others blow up or clam up
· Turn crucial conversations into the action and results you want
Whether they take place at work or at home, with your neighbors or your spouse, crucial conversations can have a profound impact on your career, your happiness, and your future. With the skills you learn in this book, you'll never have to worry about the outcome of a crucial conversation again.
We Covenant to Affirm and Promote... with Chris Buja
From New Member to Committed Leader with Rev. Renee Ruchotzke
They Joined, They Love Us... Now What?
The Mission of UUAMP is to develop and support the ministry of membership through professional development and collaboration.
Proposed by the board July 2013
The board’s 2013—2014 goals:
- Grow the UUAMP membership
- Grow active members within UUAMP
- Vision the creation of a certification program
- Increase UUAMP visibility within the UUA
On June 22, 2011 at the Membership Professionals Pre-GA day, many items were voted and approved, including bylaws, a mission statement, membership dues, code of ethics, a board of directors and committee members for Audit and Nominating. Thank you to all who were able to join us for this wonderful day.
We warmly welcome paid staff members of congregations and district staff to join us. The benefits of joining UUAMP are many, both to the membership professional and the congregation served.
- Fellowship and support from colleagues who share your professional vision.
- Opportunities for professional growth and renewal at an annual Pre-GA Professional Day.
- Help build a voice to promote and support the work of membership professionals.
- Mentoring for new membership professionals.
- Conversation with other membership professionals on our email list: Mem-Pros.
- Networking opportunities by email or phone to problem solve.
- Website full of practical and immediately usable resources and references.
- Educational opportunities: Webinars, best practices seminar, workshops at regional and large congregation conferences.
- Increase your value to your congregation by professional growth from sharing of fresh insights, new perspectives and best practices.
- Access to on-line membership directory.
- Networking of job descriptions.
- Organizational voting rights in issues affecting our profession.
Please print and mail in the Membership Application today!